Pages

Wednesday, December 15, 2010

5 Favorite Albums of 2010

In no particular order, here are my favorite albums of 2010!  There are others that I love, but these I have listened to over and over (and over), and they never get old.  

Sandra McCracken - In Feast Or Fallow
I love the production on this by Derek Webb, and I love the richness and depth of the lyrics!  My favorite is "This is the Christ".  "Hidden Place" was especially meaningful for me as we had our first baby, Ellie, this March.
In Feast Or Fallow

Patty Griffin - Downtown Church
Oh, Patty, I love you.  I actually wasn't sure if I was going to like this one, because my favorite thing about Patty is her songwriting and this is a CD of covers.  But it's amazing and so fun to listen to.  This CD made me decide that I will buy every Patty CD that comes out, even if I haven't listened to it yet.  She never fails to bring it and her voice is -without question - my favorite female voice out there (Sandra, you are #2). 
Downtown Church

Mumford & Sons - Sigh No More
This CD is #1 on a ton of the "Best of 2010" lists out there, so I probably don't need to say why we like it.  :) My husband Nick is a big fan of this one!

Sigh No More

Shane and Shane - Everything Is Different
Like Patty, I pretty much love everything Shane and Shane puts out.  I love their use of Scripture in their songs - every song is saturated with truths from the Bible.  In a world where the lyrics in Christian music is often over-simplified (how many times can you rhyme "grace" and "face" or "name" and "fame"?), their lyrics really stand out. Their harmonies and guitar skills are obviously great too! 
Everything Is Different

The National - High Violet
When we got their first album, I wasn't sure I liked the lead singer's voice.  But it grew on me, and now I love it.  I love the production and instrumentation on their albums.  This CD has stayed in my CD player all year (partly because of laziness), but I am almost always in the mood to listen to it.  
High Violet

1 comment:

  1. This is a great list:
    http://www.npr.org/2010/12/14/132050241/-all-songs-listeners-pick-the-best-music-of-2010

    Arcade Fire, Band of Horses, Broken Bells, Ray Lamontagne, Black Keys...all excellent albums.

    ReplyDelete