Pages

Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Playing for Just a Few People

I played a concert at KE Cellars in Tyler, TX just the other day.  The last time I played at KE Cellars, a pretty big group of folks came out...  I was actually surprised by it, because we hadn't been in Tyler long and we really didn't know too many people well yet.  It was such a fun concert, with some good crowd participation, and people had a great time together, which made me happy.

But this time, there were only a few people there - some strangers, and 3 friends.  It was a weird sensation, because I'm not used to having this small of a crowd. I love looking out into a big crowd of people talking and having fun, or listening to me sing these songs.  

But, this concert - even with so few people - was still really satisfying for me.  I was tempted not to post about this concert because - in some people's eyes - it might be deemed a "failure". But it wasn't a failure.  It was me getting up there, doing what I enjoy doing.  You know you're doing things for mostly right reasons when you don't care if anyone really hears you.  When you enjoy it almost as much in front of a small crowd as you do in front of a big one.  

I'd take a big crowd of intent listeners anyday over a small one, don't get me wrong!  But I love this music thing so much that I'll do it even when no one is listening.  And that makes me feel good about pursuing this thing.

Here are some pictures from the night:
Carolyn, David, and one of Ellie's suitors, Hutch!
New friend Josh
I have TOMS and skinny jeans on!  Aren't I a hippy-cool rock star?!

No comments:

Post a Comment