Pages

Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Tyler: The Three Week Update

We've been in Tyler three weeks now!  It's so hard to believe... Living in New England feels like it was a dream, although we spent three awesome years there.  So far, Tyler has been a mix of things.  I read back over this post recently, and it's interesting to see how things are both the same and completely different than I thought they'd be when we first made our decision to move here.

First, we are still looking and praying for community but, surprisingly, it feels like we've already met a lot of great people.  I have had some lonely moments, and I had a day last week where the loneliness really overshadowed the whole day.  Nick and I have also had many moments where we usually would have called someone up to hang out, but just didn't have that option... so we hung out by ourselves.  In other words, we have a long way to go before we really have community.  But through random connections, we have gotten to hang out a handful of different couples/families here that we really like.  Because they've been here a while, they are understandably already established with friends and church and life and aren't necessarily looking for new friends.  But still, just meeting warm, godly people that we could see ourselves having a relationship with has been encouraging.  We also recently decided to attend this church and we're excited to get more involved.     

I have discovered that there are mercies hidden within loneliness and lack of community.  I feel God wanting to pull me closer to Him when I feel lonely.  There is a lot of silence throughout the day as Ellie naps and I'm housebound.  Although its tempting to fill the silence with getting things done or just staring at my computer, I just can't use the "too busy" excuse to avoid reading my Bible, thinking, or praying.  Nick and I have had lots of time alone together because we just don't have the option of busying ourselves, and that has also been a very good thing.  We've had some good conversations and I'm reminded of when we were dating :).

I won't act like its been the easiest transition in the world, but I do see the good in it - that much is true.  I do feel hopeful that community is something God will provide in time and that we will have some great friends here eventually :).  Who knows?  Maybe one day I'll have some pictures on the blog to prove it!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Carrie! I find loneliness here in TW as well, though it's been steadily getting better as connections have been formed. Art Show followed by Moms' Night Out tonight, for example. It would be much better socially for us to be in Houston, but it wouldn't be optimal for us as a family. If you remember the sign in our kitchen growing up in the '70s - maybe before your time! - showing a flower coming out of a garbage heap that said, "Bloom Where You Are Planted" ... I think about that; worth trying for, twisting an area into "you" whether it knew it was like that or not, with the secure knowlege there are some people in it who have no idea how close they'll grow to you. :)

    ReplyDelete