Pages

Monday, October 18, 2010

Writing for FUN

My songwriting friend (and super blogger), Mandy, wrote a great post today.  Here's a little snippet:

"There are things in life that we do because they’re fun. For me, it’s songwriting. I started songwriting as a pleasure – a recreation – a creative outlet. But now there’s a bit of pressure attached – expectations – goals – publisher stuff – co-writing – whatever. These things sometimes make it more of a “have to” and not a “get to.”  So how do we maintain the element of Play? The element of Fun?"


So true.  Like Mandy, I love writing songs.  Last night, I just sat on my floor in the guest room (where my guitar lives) and started writing and singing.  I had so much fun!  Time flew.  


In the recent past, I have worried about things - things like commercial viability or how this song will sound to other people - while I wrote.  Suddenly my "get to" changed to a "have to"!


But lately, I've gotten back to the "get to".  Why?  Well, I have a new little project that I've been working on and am going to announce soon.  This project is supplying so much inspiration that I can't help but write!  But with this project, there is also no pressure for commercial viability or how the song will sound in a concert setting or any of that stuff.  None.


And so, I'm writing for FUN.  Can't wait to share about this project with you, by the way!

No comments:

Post a Comment