Pages

Monday, April 18, 2011

He Laid Death in His Grave

When I get the chance, I like to read blogs by songwriters that I really respect and look up to... a more recent find being Audrey Assad.  I read this post by her the other day, and it has stirred in me since, particularly the words she quotes from John Mark McMillan's song "Death in His Grave" (see video and words below).  


As Good Friday and Easter Sunday approaches, I am trying to dwell on this thought... that death is defeated and one day we will no more feel its sting.  Instead, we will experience LIFE full and complete.  Hard to imagine....  
The DEATH of death! 


To celebrate Holy Week, I am going to try to post a video a day, similar to the one below.  I hope it helps you dwell on what was accomplished for us on that Sunday so many years ago.  


PS - I just wrote a song the other day about Jesus' experience in the Garden of Gethsemane, and I'll try to post it at some point this week.  



Although the earth cried out for blood, what satisfied her hunger was
Her billows calmed on raging seas for the souls of man she craved
Sun and moon from balcony turned their head in disbelief
That precious love would taste the sting, disfigured and disdained.On Friday a thief, on Sunday a King;

He laid down in grief, but awoke with the keys of hell on that day;
First-born of the slain, the Man Jesus Christ laid
Death in his grave.

2 comments:

  1. For the first time in my 34 years, it has really hit me this week- the fact that Jesus actually died an agonizing death for me. I've been playing "Christ is Risen" (Matt Maher) on my I-pod over and over- and crying over and over. Why have I not felt this grief before over my sinfulness??

    I would sometime love to chat with you about how you are recording your stuff. I play piano and do not currently have a keyboard so I don't know the most economical way to get my stuff recorded. Would love to hear your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Erin... Amen! It is really hard to make sure we keep fresh our terrible sin and the horrific death it required. For me, it's really hard to make sure it doesn't become rote, so I feel you. I think what you're doing is a really good idea - just meditating on the same song/truths over and over. I think I might copy you!

    As far as recording goes, I'm not super technically advanced, BUT you need several things in order to do home recording: 1) mics/cables 2) PC audio interface where you can plug in your mics 3) recording software like Garage Band for Apple.

    OR, you can go the easier (and maybe better route?) and just record stuff and post it to YouTube! Easy and then people can see your face and your passion as you sing :) Just my two cents!

    ReplyDelete