Pages

Tuesday, April 5, 2011

What Does It Matter Anyway?


Don't see the player?  Click refresh or click here and listen to it on Bandcamp.  PS - Download it for free!

I wrote this song the other week from the book of Ecclesiastes.  It's called "All is Vanity" and that's pretty much the subject of the whole song (and the whole book of Ecclesiastes!).

Which got me to thinking...

Throughout time and history, billions of songs have been written and sung.  99.999% of them die away quickly and many are never even heard by a wider audience than.... like... the person's mom.

Plus, there are so many great songs out there already.  Songs that move you, songs that make you dance, songs that make you laugh. It's like we have all the songs we'll ever need covering every topic you could dream up.  As Solomon says in Ecclesiastes, there is nothing new under the sun.

So, why write another song?  Who really needs another song when we have bazillions to choose from already?  Who needs another everyday songwriter, yet another voice?  Is it all, to quote Solomon again, just "striving after wind?"  Is it all "vanity of vanities" and meaningless?

I've been asking myself these questions lately and, to be honest, have been pretty discouraged.  In the last week or so, I've felt my creative energy drain away - maybe it's all the work we're doing on the house, maybe it's writer's block, or maybe it's just these questions getting to me?

Maybe it's a combination of those things, but here's the TRUTH that I'm trying to preach to myself:

As a Christian, I don't work and toil so that I can write the next great, lasting song.  I don't write to gain fame or so that people will know my name.  So why do I write?  And why do I sing?

It is not gain significance under the sun.  
For I have already gained great significance in Him.
Even more, He infuses everything under the sun with significance.

And so I write.
And so I sing.

To chase my own glory would be like chasing the wind.
I would come up empty every time.
But in His love, He has chased me.

And so I write.
And so I sing.

Why do you write, sing, blog, paint, mother, cook, work, design, study?  What does it matter anyway?

6 comments:

  1. This post resonated with me. I often wonder why I write. (I write songs, too.) It's not that I think I'm going to have the next big hit or that I even want to. It's not for my husband or my kids or my mom. It's for my God. I believe it's an outlet and talent He has given me to communicate with Him. If someone else is touched by my music, glory to Him. But, I didn't write it for them. I wrote it for God. And, I don't want glory for it. My only goal is that anything good that I do, whether it be writing a song or washing the dishes, that the Lord be given the glory.

    I love "All is Vanity," BTW.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Erin, I love that you're a mom and a songwriter... I don't know many of those! So glad to know you.

    I love and heartily agree with that last line: whether it be doing dishes or writing a song... Yes! I am slowly learning this...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the post Caroline. I feel like this has been a theme from God to me lately.

    Taylor is doing his studies in Ecclesiastes. At first, he was trying as hard as he could to get out of it and into a different book, but ultimately we felt the Lord wanting him to stay there. Ecclesiastes for 4 years - I can't wait to see the fruit of digging in this book. I think Christians tend to shy away from it because it can seem depressing, but there are so many riches there. Thanks for sharing some nuggets He's taught you from it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post. Great song. And great book of the Bible. Ecclesiastes so resonates with me right now. Thanks for sharing! - Lilly

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Robs - I can tell from other posts that we are learning some of the same things... is it a new mom thing or something? I can't believe Taylor is doing Ecclesiastes for 4 years! That is impressive. I can't wait to see what you guys do next and how God uses this time and these studies. We miss you guys.

    ReplyDelete