Pages

Friday, November 6, 2009

The Meaning Behind the Songs: "Free" (#2)

Listen to "Free" or see the lyrics.


I started writing "Free" when we were living in East Asia in 2006-07. It has to do with that checklist we all seem to make, and I especially tend towards... 

The year before, when we had lived in Dallas, I had really struggled as I felt like all the things I had put my identity in - being able to write songs, being a nice person that people liked, being a strong Christian, being a good friend - were crumbling away. I felt like I was becoming the complete opposite. For one, I was a total stressball with work. I also felt like a terrible friend, I had no creativity to write, and I felt very far from God.



Checklist FAIL, right?



"Free" is about the truths that made me realize how false the checklist really is.


     

No comments:

Post a Comment