Pages

Sunday, November 8, 2009

The Meaning Behind the Songs: "Spring" (#3)

Listen to "Spring" or see the lyrics.





"Spring" started out as a joke song inspired by the long winters in New England that like to hang on - with white-knuckled ferocity - until April or sometimes even May. But a deeper meaning crept into the song as I wrote.


When April or May comes around, the desire for spring and sun and being outside grows in intensity for people who live in New England. I mean, we've been cooped up in our homes since December, it's been dark starting at 4:30 pm every night since November, and our friends from Texas are posting pics from the lake on their Facebook pages (or, is that just me?). Arrgh.



Ok, it's really not that bad - but I truly have this intense desire to be outside, to be warm, to wear shorts again when these "spring" months come around. When it finally does, I really enjoy and appreciate the sun and wearing shorts more than I ever did in Texas.

Sometimes winters come in spiritual form, and I think that I've been experiencing a bit of one for the last few years... the longing and desire for the sun to come out again and shine on my face is stronger now than it has been in a long time.  

It's still winter, but I can't wait for the spring.

2 comments:

  1. This is actually one of my faves of yours. Have I ever told you that? It's so... unique. And chill. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And, let me elaborate - I LOVE the chicka chicka hits after "Fallin" - where you emphasize the 8th notes, or whatever, on the guitar. Not to mention, the chord progression is colorful and has some surprises!

    ReplyDelete