Pages

Tuesday, November 3, 2009

The Meaning Behind the Songs: Sing

To celebrate the release of Sing, I'm going to do a little "series" on this blog about the meaning behind each of the 13 songs on the new album.  I love it when I go to a concert and the musician gives me just a little insight... Why did he or she write it, under what circumstances, what's the heart of the song, etc.?  I hope you guys feel the same way!


For Part 1 of the 13 part series, I want to talk about why the album is called Sing in the first place.  The title track is #9, but "sing" has been a theme that has been coming up quite a bit for me in these past few years as I've been writing and struggling with what it means to be a "musician" and a "singer-songwriter".  I noticed that the word "sing" came up quite a bit in my songs as well - you might notice it too as you listen!


So....


About a year ago, I was on a retreat in New Hampshire, thinking and praying about music and what to do with all of these songs that kept coming.  


What was I supposed to do with this music thing?  Was I doing enough?  Was I making too much of it or too little?  Am I supposed to go and try to be a rock star, or am I supposed to give up altogether?  Am I terrible but no one is telling me?   


An image of a huge choir came to my mind.  In this picture, I am just one of hundreds of singers in the choir.  We are all singing different harmonies, and even different melodies, but we are singing the same Song.  As I sing, I wonder to myself, "Am I loud enough?" and "Shouldn't I have a solo or something?" and "What if I stopped singing - would anyone notice?  Do I make a difference?  Can anyone even hear me?"


God answers these questions for me by answering just that last question... He says "I can hear you. You are singing for me.  It doesn't matter if anyone else can hear you or if you have a solo or how good you are. Just sing."


And so I do.
          

No comments:

Post a Comment